BUTTE COUNTY (KRON) – A lawsuit has been filed Tuesday against PG&E on behalf of victims impacted by the Camp Fire that devastated Butte County.

The lawsuit alleges that PG&E failed to maintain it’s equipment resulting in the deadly fire.

The fire has destroyed 7,102 structures, threatened 15,500 structures, and left 150,000 people without a home.

The victims suffered injuries and lost their homes and businesses in the fire, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit alleges that PG&E has a long history of “safety lapses that caused injury and death to California residents, and destroyed or damaged their property” citing the 2010 San Bruno gas explosion, 2017 North Bay Fires and other incidents.

Read More

By Bay City News Service

PG&E officials said more than 38,000 customers in the North Bay and Sierra Foothills had their power restored as of 9:30 p.m. Monday night. They said they expect to restore power for all customers by Tuesday, but did not have specific times.

Earlier they said they expected to restore power by midnight on Tuesday to 70 percent of the customers in several counties after power was turned off Sunday night to reduce wildfire risks in conditions that are dry, windy and with low humidity.

At around 4:30 p.m. Lake County Sheriff said Middletown and Hidden Valley Lake had their power turned back on, followed by Kelseyville but portions of Clearlake are still without.

Read More

Two sagging Pacific Gas and Electric Co. power lines made contact and ignited a blaze last year that killed four people and injured a firefighter in Northern California, fire officials said Tuesday about the latest wildfire to be blamed on power lines.

Strong winds caused the lines to touch, creating an electrical arc that sent molten material onto dry vegetation below, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said.

The blaze in Yuba County that started on Oct. 8, 2017, scorched 15 square miles and destroyed 264 structures.

Read More

It’s a question worth billions of dollars: How did California’s most destructive wildfire start?

One year after the Tubbs fire burst from a spark and became a wind-driven inferno, thousands of people who lost homes as well as relatives of the 22 people killed are still waiting to learn what caused the wildfire that upended their lives.

Cal Fire has concluded PG&E power lines and equipment sparked 16 of the 18 fires that broke out Oct. 8 and 9 across Northern California. Investigators handed reports for 11 of those fires — including the Atlas fire that killed six people in Napa County — to local prosecutors, who will review evidence asserting the utility company hadn’t followed safety laws and was criminally negligent.

Read More
SAN FRANCISCO — Fire officials say a downed Pacific Gas and Electric Co. power line ignited a blazed in Marin County that prompted mandatory evacuation.
The Marin County Fire Department said Wednesday the 150-acre blaze at Samuel P. Taylor State Park was 65 percent contained.The department says many residents are still without power but that it should be restored by Wednesday evening.

The blaze that started Monday quickly spread but cool weather has helped fire crews contain it.

Fire investigators have blamed PG&E equipment for 12 of last year’s deadly wildfires in Wine Country.

PG&E is facing dozens of lawsuits from insurers, which have spent billions settling insurance claims from homeowners.

The wildfires that brought horror to Northern California nearly a year ago led to some unusual political alliances and rifts among lawmakers as their response came to a momentous vote on a controversial measure that holds both PG&E and ratepayers responsible for multibillion-dollar damages.

Approval by the Assembly and Senate late Friday night — on the final day of the legislative session — came nearly 11 months after the historic wildfires that took 44 lives and destroyed 6,400 homes in Northern California last October.

There were Democrats and Republicans on both sides of the vote in each house, with some lawmakers who rarely agree in concert on the measure, while 24 legislators declined to cast a vote.

Read More

Associated Press | CNBC | 8/28/18

Construction crews have already put up the frame on Cheri Sharp’s new house, but she still questions whether rebuilding was the right choice after California’s most destructive wildfire took her old home in wine country nearly a year ago.

She’s had to dip into retirement savings to cover a $300,000 shortfall in her homeowner’s insurance coverage.

“We just kind of thought we were taken care of,” Sharp, 54, said about her insurance policy. “If I had to do it over again, I’d probably change my mind and move.”

The wind-whipped wildfire that tore through Northern California in October 2017, killing 22 people and destroying more than 5,500 structures, left many people in Sharp’s position: underinsured and having to scramble for money to build a new home on their property.

Read More

SACRAMENTO — Stymied by controversy over a plan to make utility ratepayers responsible for some of the costs of wildfires, a special legislative committee Monday night punted the high-stakes issue to a proposed five-member commission that’ll have nearly a year to come up with solutions.

The commission’s structure and goals were detailed in a 72-page proposed wildfire response bill posted Monday night on the website of the 10-member bipartisan conference committee on wildfire prevention as it began deliberations in a nearly empty Capitol building.

Throughout the day Monday, lobbyists and other stakeholders in the contentious issue speculated on the fate of the proposed bill that initially included a plan to allow PG&E and other utilities to sell state-authorized bonds to cover a portion of the damages from last year’s devastating wildfires, with ratepayers responsible for paying the bond debt through their utility bills.

Read More